On Metering Limited (OML) is a joint venture company between two South Island distribution companies, Alpine Energy Limited and Network Tasman Limited. On Metering is a member of the SmartCo Group which is deploying over 200,000 meters across New Zealand.
We have invested in a new radio mesh network and advanced meters. This technology is the future of meter reading. They are better for your pocket and the environment. This will provide energy retailers with a single seamless service which comprises:
- Radio mesh network
- Advanced meters
- Smart energy services
- Field service providers
On Metering provide meters in the North Canterbury and Kaikoura regions.
The Government requires that all meters be certified by 1 April 2015. In the majority of cases this means replacement of the existing meters, so going Smart was the wise choice. We are changing over 40,000 meters in the North Canterbury and Kaikoura regions. We want to provide information from advanced meters to electricity retailers and distributors who can benefit from this by:
- Increased accuracy and frequency of meter reads
- Reduced need to visit installations for future changes and service
- Power accounts will be based upon actual consumption not on an estimate
- Alerts if your have a power failure or if your supply voltage is too high or too low
- Decrease in power usage at peak times
- Improved Management of power outages leading to quicker restoration of power supply
The retailers will be able to introduce new services and innovative tariffing to their customers thanks to the collection of interval consumption. A good example of this is peak and off-peak tariffing, where the consumer is able to benefit from cheaper electricity charges in off-peak periods.
Households and businesses will benefit from improved services through the information that is provided by advanced metering.
- Most customers through their retailer will have access to information about their daily and hourly power usage.
- No access will be required onto your property for meter readers.
- There will be no need for someone to hold keys to access houses to read internal meters.
- Power accounts will be based upon actual consumption not on an estimate.
Medium/long term benefits from advanced meters include:
- monitor your own electricity usage and conserve energy as a result.
- set alarms to alert you if the power usage is too high.
- set energy efficient appliances to interact with their advanced meter to alter usage to suit their lifestyle and manage electricity costs.
- more choice of tariff plans through your electricity retailer.